Sunday 10 April 2016

My Birthday and Traditional Upper Austrian food

Hi everyone :)

So last Friday (1st April) was my 21st birthday, and I had a lovely time celebrating in Austria. I was teaching just one class so I decided to take tea, biscuits and sweets in and play some games with them. I was very spoilt by my colleagues with some lovely gifts (which Niki enjoyed too!), and my class had prepared a special birthday song for me called 'Wie schön, das du geboren bist' (how lovely it is that you were born), for which they were accompanied by the teacher and her ukelele!


In the evening, I had some friends over for food and then we went bowling. Unfortunately I didn't win, but I did have a wonderful time!

The beautiful birthday cake that Charlotte and our new housemate Michael made for me! 

Of course Niki had to have a place at the table...



On Wednesday I decided to cook for my housemates, and I had received an Upper Austrian recipe book for Christmas, so I thought I'd give it a try! Overall, it worked pretty well, and everyone seemed to enjoy it. 
The dish was called Bauernkoteletts - literally 'farm cutlets'.
It consists of pork cutlets with vegetables and frankfurter sausages in a gravy sauce and with roast potatoes.
(Upper Austria is the farming region of Austria, so the food is similar in sorts to back home)

Other than that, not much exciting has happened! I've been teaching, lesson planning, and working on my dissertation, which is due on 3rd May (really not very long left!) But I do have lots of exciting things planned for May to make the most of my remaining time here.

Thanks for reading!

Laura :)

No comments:

Post a Comment