Sunday 10 January 2016

Christmas holidays and returning to Austria :)

Hi everyone!

I'm now back in Austria after a lovely Christmas in England.

I had a great Christmas holiday, which included seeing lots of family and friends, eating lots of lovely food, and celebrating my little sister's 18th birthday by taking her away to the Harry Potter Studios in Watford! Here are a few pictures from my Christmas:

Rachel and I with our grandparents
Rachel and I with our grandparents and cousins
An amazing Dartmoor sunset
I spent New Year with these lovely people
I got to meet adorable puppies on the farm! Unfortunately they didn't want to come back to Austria in my suitcase :(
Rachel with the hand made birthday cake from our hotel!
Practising for going to Hogwarts in September!
My first try of butterbeer ft. butterbeer moustache
The Great Hall
Mum, Rachel and I in the Mirror of Erised
Rachel and I trying out Hagrid's flying motorbike
No. 4 Privet Drive
I flew back to Austria on Monday, and spent the next couple days working on a deadline for university. I started back at work on Thursday and have been doing a lesson on extreme weather and ways of talking about the weather in English. The students particularly liked how many words for rain we have in the English language! The idea for this lesson was sparked by the floods in England at the moment, and I hope everyone back home is staying safe with the bad weather!

Having left rain behind in England, I was very excited to come back to the first proper snow this winter in Austria! It was beautiful, and whilst a lot of it has now melted, we did make the most of it by building a snowman after work on Friday. However, the Austrians don't tend to play in the snow...so we did get a lot of weird looks!

You know it's cold when a lake is frozen over!
The beautiful snow near one of my schools
Our snowman!
Yesterday I went on my first adventure of the new year. We went to Passau, which is just over the border into Germany. It is a beautiful town, and we had a lovely day doing some exploring. Here are a few photos from the trip:

The inside of St Paul's Church 
The inside of St Stephan's Cathedral 
The monastery up on the hill
The Danube river
In Passau, three rivers meet. This is the exact point where all three come together.
The view from the Veste Oberhaus

Thanks for reading!

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment