Wednesday 10 February 2016

Bex came to stay!

Hi everyone!

Unfortunately I haven't been well the last couple of weeks (apparently laryngitis is very common among teachers, especially new teachers) and I have now been to the doctor, who signed me off work for the week. I'm not really allowed to talk, which I'm sure you can imagine is a huge challenge for me! However I am feeling much better now :) But last week, my friend Bex from home came to visit me in Austria, and we had a fantastic, relaxed weekend.

I picked her up from the airport on Wednesday and we headed back to Linz on the train. I took her for a little tour of Linz, but unfortunately it seemed Bex had brought the rain with her from England so the tour was cut a little short!

On Thursday I showed Bex a little more of Linz, including the cathedral and the main square.


We also went to my favourite cafe in Linz called the Jindrak. We had some English tea and Austrian strudel, and it was a great mix!


On Friday we travelled to Bad Gastein, a town in Salzburgerland about 3 hours from Linz. It is a very popular ski resort, and is home to some thermal baths. We were to stay over night in a hostel in Bad Gastein and spend Saturday at the thermal baths. This was the view from our hostel room balcony:


After checking in to our hostel, we went to a local restaurant where I introduced Bex to traditional Wiener Schnitzel. 

Saturday at the thermal baths was brilliant. It was a very relaxing day, and the outdoor pool was amazing! It was a very strange feeling though to be sat in 40 degree water looking at snowy mountains and knowing that the air temperature was around -2 degrees!



There were lots of different pools at the resort, for children, relaxation or fitness, as well as saunas. Bex and I booked in for massages in the afternoon, and I left feeling very relaxed!

Sunday was my last day with Bex, and since she was flying from Vienna we thought we'd make the most of the day and have a little look around Vienna. It was a beautiful spring day, and we enjoyed wandering around and looking at the sights. There were so many people out relaxing in the sunshine; it was wonderful. Here are a few pictures from our afternoon in Vienna:

St Stephan's Cathedral (Stefansdom)
St Stephan's Cathedral (Stefansdom)
St Stephan's Cathedral (Stefansdom)
St Stephan's Cathedral (Stefansdom)
St Stephan's Cathedral (Stefansdom) 
St Stephan's Cathedral (Stefansdom) 
St Peter's Church
St Peter's Church
Exploring the Hofburg Palace area
Exploring the Hofburg Palace area
Exploring the Hofburg Palace area
Exploring the Hofburg Palace area
Thanks for reading!

Laura :)

No comments:

Post a Comment