Sunday 22 November 2015

The Christmas season is here! Yay!

Hi everyone!

As I'm writing this post, it has just begun to snow outside my window, and it's getting heavier by the minute. I am extremely excited to have a snowy winter this year! The trouble is, watching the snow is very distracting, and it's hard to pull myself away from the window!

Anyway, back to this week...
This week has been another varied week with lessons. I've talked about grammar, war and terrorism, Australia, smoking, American vs British English, adolescence, pronunciation and multicultural Britain!

I've also been asked to do some extra (paid!) work at a primary school, doing some basic English with 6 and 7 year olds, which is very much my cup of tea! It'll be great fun to play games, do basic vocabulary and sing some songs...however understanding their child ramblings in the Austrian dialect could be interesting! Fingers crossed there will be a teacher with me all the time, although it will probably help me to learn a lot quicker.

My film afternoon at my main school is all planned and ready - on the 19th December I'll be showing "The Sound of Music" at the school, and so far everyone seems really keen on coming, which is very exciting! One response in class came from a girl after my own heart. When I asked if they would be interested in a film afternoon, she said completely straight-faced "Will there be food?", to which I replied, "Of course!". Thankfully, that convinced her to come :P I'm asking them all to pay €1 for a ticket by the Wednesday before, and then I'll go and buy a load of snacks for them to eat during the film :) I just hope they enjoy it!

I also went along to a badminton club this week. I was nervous about going, but luckily I was put in touch with a guy at the club who speaks English, so whilst I want to practise my German, it was nice to have the choice of speaking English if I was struggling. The training is three hours, two nights a week, and I'd forgotten how exhausting it was! I have to say, my body is still aching three days on, and Friday was a struggle to move, but I loved it and I cannot wait to go back. It was lovely to be back playing again, and everyone was so welcoming. I think it will be a good little community to get involved in :)

On Saturday, the Weihnachtsmarkt (Christmas market) opened in Linz, and a group of us TAs went along. It's been quite warm here the last few weeks, but the temperature suddenly dropped on Friday, and it's turned quickly to winter. This just added to the atmosphere at the market. All the Christmas lights were lit, you could smell Gluhwein (mulled wine) and chocolate everywhere, and the stalls were selling beautiful handmade items which would make wonderful Christmas presents (spoiler alert for everyone back home! :P ). Here is a picture of the Linz Weihnachtsmarkt to give you an idea of what it's like...


I think that's all for this week. I'm working a lot on my Year Abroad Research Project at the moment, so my exploring has taken a step back for a couple of weeks until my deadline, but there will be more to come before the Christmas holidays!

Thanks for reading :)

Laura


No comments:

Post a Comment